March 25, 2010

The Illinois Central Railroad

Historian and former Champaign mayor Dan McCollum discusses the arrival of the Illinois Central Railroad in 1854. The town that grew up around the tracks originally was called West Urbana. It was renamed Champaign after the town took action to acquire a city charter in 1860. The city and county names were derived from Champaign County, Ohio. About 10,000 men worked at any one time on the rail line. The depot, called Urbana Station, was built in time for the first train to arrive July 24, 1854.

Illinois Pioneers - Illinois Central Railroad from Illinois Public Media on Vimeo.



WILL Highlights

Small record sale logo

Vintage Vinyl is coming!

The Vintage Vinyl Sale to benefit Illinois Radio Reader returns on October 3. Click for the latest info. 


7 pm Aug. 31-Sept. 2 on WILL-TV


C-U's got quite the beer scene brewing. Tiffany Jolley checks it out.