Sports Reporter Intern
Illinois Public Media is looking for a student who's passionate about reporting news and sports for our spring internship at WILL, the NPR News and PBS station in Champaign-Urbana. Interns learn alongside professional journalists while reporting on issues relevant to our audiences, researching and gathering information for newscasts and feature reports, scheduling and conducting interviews, writing copy and reporting through social media. The intern will be paid $1,500 and requires a commitment of 10 hours each week for 15 weeks. May also receive internship course credit, inquire with your College to seek enrollment approval.
- Research stories, monitor news sources, find guests and book interviews.
- Gather audio from news conferences and/or games, conduct interviews and write news copy for air, web and social media.
- Assist in production of The Bandwagon sports/culture podcast.
- Participate in editorial meetings and suggest story ideas and guests.
- Keep up on current issues, events and newsmakers in Central Illinois.
- Engage with audiences through social media.
- Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence.
- Excellent writing skills
- Organized and motivated self-starter
- Previous journalism experience
- Strong news judgment
- Producing audio, video and written content
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team
- Schedule must allow for regular blocks of time in the newsroom and/or covering events
- Must be enrolled at the University of Illinois
TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter and three samples of your work to Brian Moline, firstname.lastname@example.org, by January 22, 2016. Interviews may begin sooner, but no candidate will be selected until after the deadline. Illinois Public Media is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.