Hoopeston Tire Fire Ruled Accidental
The police chief in Hoopeston says the Illinois State Fire Marshal has ruled a massive fire at a tire-recycling facility was accidental.
Hoopeston Police Chief Mark Drollinger tells The News-Gazette that the fire marshal said the fire was due to static electricity that occurred when employees were working.
Flames erupted at J&R Used Tire Service in Hoopeston early Wednesday. Heavy, black smoke was seen for miles as the 400,000-square-foot brick facility burned.
More than 100 firefighters from across east-central Illinois and west-central Indiana fought the blaze. Hundreds of homes were evacuated.
Both the state and federal Environmental Protection Agency have visited the scene and are monitoring air quality.