Early Childhood Mentor Teacher/Trainer – Summer Through Early Fall
Illinois Public Media has a unique summer-early fall job opening for a tech-savvy, experienced early childhood professional to work alongside teachers at the Multicultural Community Center in Rantoul. The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, experience developing digital curriculum and success in teaching early math, reading and social emotional skills to children ages 3-7. Being bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus as well as familiarity with PBS kids apps and games. However, if this opportunity excites you and you aren’t familiar with the research-tested educational games and apps provided by PBS, apply anyway.
This is a part time academic hourly position at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign beginning May 2015 and ending in the early fall. Hours for this position will vary over the course of the summer and early fall. The position pays $30/hr. Benefits are not included. The position reports directly to the Director of Community Content and Engagement.
- Work with Illinois Public Media’s Director of Community Content and Engagement and the Executive Director of the Multicultural Community Center to identify the math needs of a subset of children at the Center ages 3-7.
- Identify the professional development needs of a subset of teachers at the Center who teach math to students ages 3-7.
- Create a digital curriculum for the fall that supports the math literacy of children ages 3-7.
- Provide professional development for teachers at the Center to implement this curriculum.
- Identify the ways in which parents are supporting their children’s math literacy and ways to support parents’ needs.
- Co-teach the math curriculum with teachers at the Center.
- Assess and document the outcome of numbers 1-6.
- Bachelor’s degree in education
- Two years’ experience teaching in an early childhood setting
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications
- Proficient in the use of educational technology for early learners
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Knowledge and use of PBS Kids programs, apps and online games
- Knowledge of PBSKids.org/lab
- Skilled in digital photography
- Familiarity with public broadcasting and services and programs offered by Illinois Public Media
Send cover letter and resume with three references by May 6 to Kimberlie Kranich, Director of Community Content & Engagement, email@example.com. Interviews may begin sooner but no candidate will be selected until after the deadline.
Illinois Public Media is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.