Donald P. Mullally Internship at Illinois Public Media - Fall, 2014: News Reporter/Producer Intern
Illinois Public Media is looking for a student who's passionate about news and radio for our fall news reporting and producing internship at WILL, the NPR News station in Champaign-Urbana. Interns learn alongside professional journalists while researching and gathering information for newscasts and feature reports, scheduling and conducting interviews, choosing audio clips, writing copy and reporting through social media. The Donald P. Mullally Intern will be paid $1,500 and requires a commitment of 10 hours each week for 15 weeks. May also receive internship course credit through JOUR 495.
- Research stories, monitor news sources, find interviewees and book interviews.
- Participate in editorial meetings and suggest story ideas and guests.
- Record interviews in the field and by phone.
- May write news copy for air, web and social media.
- Keep up on current issues, events and newsmakers in East Central Illinois.
- Help maintain and grow social media presence.
- Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence.
- Previous journalistic experience
- Organized and motivated self-starter
- Strong news judgment
- Producing audio, video and written content
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team
- Must be enrolled in the College of Media at the University of Illinois
- Passion for news and journalism
- Knowledge and understanding of public broadcasting journalistic ethics
- Demonstrated ability to maintain relationships with story sources
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume and contact information for two or three academic or professional references to the attention of Scott Cameron, Director of News and Public Affairs, email@example.com, by May 12, 2014. Interviews may begin sooner, but no candidate will be selected until after the deadline. Illinois Public Media is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.