Student Internship – News Producing/Social Media—Fall, 2014
Illinois Public Media is looking for a student who’s passionate about radio news, digital reporting and social media for the fall news producing and social media internship at WILL, the NPR News station in Champaign-Urbana. Interns learn alongside media professionals while researching and gathering information for on-air and online delivery and identifying social media tools, trends and opportunities. This is an unpaid position that requires a minimum of 10 hours each week for 10-12 weeks.
Student must be enrolled in an internship course to accept the internship; however IPM does not have authorization to approve enrollment. Inquire with your College to seek enrollment approval.
- Research stories, monitor news sources, find interviewees and book interviews.
- Participate in editorial meetings and suggest story ideas and guests.
- Record interviews in the field and by phone, write news copy for air, web and social media.
- Assist Marketing Director and social media team with researching new social media tools, trends, opportunities, and best practices.
- Assist Marketing Director with developing new presences for WILL on select social media platforms.
- Monitor daily output of WILL (news, talk, web content, current projects, events, and other programming) to help determine what might be of interest in social media spaces.
- Update certain statuses and content for various WILL programs and projects on various social media platforms.
- Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence.
- Previous journalistic experience
- Excellent communication skills and writing ability
- Organized and motivated self-starter
- Strong news judgment
- Graphic design skills
- Experience using social media including (but not limited to) Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Soundcloud, Google+, Reddit, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Pinterest
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team
- Must be enrolled at the University of Illinois and eligible to receive internship course credit through JOUR 495 to accept the position
end resume and cover letter to Scott Cameron, Director of News and Public Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org, by September 2, 2014. Illinois Public Media is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.