Illinois Public Media News
Family members say they want to know why a police run-in led to the death of 15 year old Kiwane Carrington - and they say Champaign police have told them very little.
Police say an officer's firearm discharged during a scuffle with Carrington and another teen after a neighbor reported what appeared to be a break-in at a Vine Street home. Carrington's adult sister Kinesha Williams was his legal guardian - she says police have never contacted the family or offered a liaison until well after he was killed. Williams also wants to know why a gun was involved against unarmed boys, and what can be done in the future.
"I want to know what we are going to do as a community to make sure that this does not happen to anybody else's family," Williams asked tearfully.
Family members say Carrington was troubled by the death of his mother from cancer last year, and he had truancy problems, but they say that didn't warrant the police response. The home's owner also says Carrington had lived there over the summer and was welcome in the home.
Police have called a meeting of their Community and Police Partnership for this afternoon to discuss the incident. But some -- including Pastor Evelyn Underwood of the Ministerial Alliance of Champaign-Urbana -- say the incident makes them think twice about working with police.
"I don't believe in groupthink, and a mind is a terrible thing to waste," Underwood told those assembled at a Monday press conference. "I've got a mind of my own. However, I will check with people I represent, the Ministerial Alliance, before I make decisions. (But) I will not be in secret meetings where I cannot go back top my group and say this is what's going on."
Champaign Police deputy chief Troy Daniels has not yet returned a call for comment - chief R.T. Finney suffered a slight injury in the scuffle. State police have been called in to investigate, but activist Terry Townsend says federal authorities should also look into the incident.
State Police are heading the investigation of Friday's scuffle involving Champaign Police that led to the shooting death of a 15-year old.
Officers were called to the 900 block of West Vine Street, when a resident reported multiple subjects were trying to break into a home there. They say Kiwane Carrington and another 15-year old male then disobeyed orders to get on the ground, and a struggle ensued. Carrington was killed when an officer's gun was discharged. That unnamed officer is on paid leave. The other officer at the scene, Police Chief R. T. Finney, suffered a sprained shoulder and knee.
Champaign Deputy Chief Troy Daniels says many community leaders were contacted following the incident, to show the proper process is being followed to investigate the incident.
"At this time, we believe that most reasonable people will let the invesigation take its course, and we'll wait to hear what the result of that investigation is," said Daniels. The other teen involved in the incident was taken the Youth Detention Center on a residential burglary charge. An autopsy is planned Saturday for Carrington.
A Central Illinois program that helps ex-felons transition into jobs and homes lost its funding this summer. Now its executive director wants to know how a number of new parolees returning to the Decatur area will seek out such services.
Decatur's Promise Community Center used to receive a 100-thousand grant to help those getting out of prison. But most of those funds helped those leaving a prison in East St. Louis, and few of them relocating in Decatur. So the grant ended June 30th, and will be shifted to East St. Louis at a later date. Promise Center Executive Director Reverend Leroy Smith says that makes sense, but he's concerned about the additional 1000 parolees that Governor Pat Quinn plans to release within a month. Smith says the Promise Center is basically a one-man operation, in which he takes a handful of referrals.
"I'm a person who, if I'm making a commitment, I will follow through," Smith said. "And our organization is known to do that."
Department of Corrections spokeswoman Januari Smith says there's been no breakdown as to where the 1000 non-violent early-released prisoners will come from, but she assures there won't be a logjam of parolees in programs like the Promise Center.
"With that early release of inmates, Governor Quinn has allocated us two million dollars to help with that, which will help us electronically monitor those parolees as well as set up an increase support services that they may need," the spokeswoman said.
Reverend Smith says he still plans to advocate for ex-felons when possible. He still serves on an executive committee for prisoner re-entry under Governor Quinn.
Residents of the tiny Illinois town where five family members were slain in their home are anxiously awaiting any word to settle their nerves after authorities warned them to lock their doors at night.
Investigators are following leads but no arrests have been made or suspects identified in the killings in Beason in Logan County, near Lincoln.
Logan County Sheriff Steven Nichols calls the killings "brutal homicide.'' But he's not providing details about how the family died.
Autopsies were to be conducted Tuesday, but no results have been released.
The victims include a couple and their children ages 16, 14 and 11. A 3-year-old girl also survived the attack. The girl's grandmother identified her as another of the couple's daughters.
Gov. Pat Quinn says he's restoring $16 million in funding previously expected to be cut from probation services statewide, averting many layoffs critics said would compromise public safety.
The Democrat says the move came after the state's General Assembly earlier this year funded the Illinois Supreme Court's budget for operational expenses and grants at only 56 percent of the court's request.
That court reimburses the state's 65 probation departments up to 65 percent of the salaries of probation officers.
Quinn's action Tuesday brought the high court's funding level to 82 percent of what it got last fiscal year.
Some counties have insisted that drastic reimbursement cuts will mean layoffs, and that fewer probation officers watching after sex offenders and other criminals could harm public safety.
Police in the south Chicago suburb of Country Club Hills say their investigation into the death of a friend and fundraiser for former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich is essentially over. They believe Chris Kelly committed suicide.
Police say that when Chris Kelly swallowed a bunch of pain killers last Friday, it was his second suicide attempt that week.
They say Kelly has also tried to take his life last Tuesday night, just hours after pleading guilty in federal court to bid rigging. Kelly was due to enter prison this Friday to start a three-year tax fraud sentence.
Country Club Hills Police Chief Regina Evans said Tuesday that "based on all the information and the witnesses we know to be involved, we have no other investigation right now unless the toxicology report comes back to be something unexpected."
After attempting suicide last Friday, police say Kelly contacted his girlfriend who picked him up in the parking lot of a lumber yard in Country Club Hills.
She took him to the hospital but he died Saturday morning.
Kelly had been indicted three times by federal prosecutors who hoped to pressure him into testifying against Blagojevich.
(Additional reporting by the Associated Press).
Authorities say they hope to make more headway this week in an investigation into the death of a former chief fundraiser for ousted Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.
Country Club Hills Mayor Dwight Welch said police on Monday plan to pursue more interviews and hospital admittance records in the possible suicide of 51-year-old Christopher Kelly. Welch also says they'll subpoena phone records and get a search warrant for a storage locker Kelly might have rented.
On Sunday, medical examiners completed an autopsy and detectives looked into whether drugs found in Kelly's vehicle may have factored into his death. Kelly died Saturday, just days before he was to report to prison to begin a three-year prison sentence on tax fraud charges. He was a native of Champaign.
There were no additional arrests or weapons found after Rantoul Township High School was on a 'soft lockdown' for a second straight day yesterday. Superintendent Janet Koroscik says there will still be a police presence at the school today, but won't require that teachers or administrators accompany students that leave the classroom. There have been at least eight arrests following two fights off school grounds on Friday, and the discovery of knives on three students when searches were conducted Tuesday. Koroscik says school administrators and Rantoul police will meet soon to determine a long-term solution.
Rantoul Township High School will be on a 'soft lockdown' for a second day Wednesday after two recent fights and the arrests of several students.
Superintendent Janet Koroscik says there were about five arrests following two fights outside the school on Friday. And Tuesday, Rantoul Police removed three students from the building when knives were discovered on them. The knives were found as officers went from room to room, bringing students out individually to search them. Officers and school administrators also searched backpacks and lockers. That was prompted after a rumor surfaced that a student would bring a gun to school Tuesday.
Koroscik says the fights could be connected to gang activity... noting the incidents have involved many of the same individuals. But she says they're a poor reflection of the majority of the student body:
"I really want to ensure everyone that the small group of individuals whose behavior is certainly inappropriate in no way reflects on the larger portion of our population who has amazing behavior," Koroscik said. "This is a great place to be and we want to make sure we keep it that way."
Rantoul Township High School has 787 students.
Koroscik says during a soft lockdown, no students are allowed to leave the classroom unless they're accompanied by a teacher or administrator. And extra staff and administrators are monitoring the hallways in between classes.
Ousted Gov. Rod Blagojevich's former chief fundraiser pleaded guilty Tuesday to swindling two major airlines as part of an $8.5 million fraud arising from hangar roofing contracts at O'Hare International Airport.
Under his signed plea, 51-year-old Christopher G. Kelly will be sentenced to 57 months in prison. As chief of the Friends of Rod Blagojevich, Kelly bankrolled the now impeached Democrat's rise to the governor's office.
The sentence comes on top of a 37-month federal prison term Kelly must serve after pleading guilty to charges in an unrelated tax-fraud scheme.
Kelly still faces charges as a co-defendant in the same federal indictment that alleges Blagojevich sought to sell or trade President Obama's former seat in the U.S. Senate.
Page 113 of 117 pages ‹ First < 111 112 113 114 115 > Last ›