Illinois Public Media News

AP - Illinois Public Media News - June 16, 2011

Settlement Allows Illinois’ Disabled to Move out of Institutions

A federal judge in Chicago said Wednesday that he will approve a legal settlement allowing thousands of developmentally disabled Illinoisans to move out of institutions, and into smaller, community-based homes.

The agreement could end end six years of legal wrangling, paving the way for some 6,000 developmentally disabled Illinoisans to move out of the larger, institutional settings. Some advocates say those homes do not provide enough independence for some residents. Under a consent decree being considered by U.S. District Judge James F. Holderman, the state of Illinois would have to help developmentally disabled people find smaller homes if they choose to leave the larger institutions.

John Grossbart, the plantinffs' head lawyer, said the consent decree that's expected to be officially approved soon is good news for people who might thrive in a less institutional environment.

"When you wanna turn on the TV and turn off the TV, you can do so," Grossbart said after court Wednesday. "When you wanna get a glass of milk and have a snack at some peculiar time of day, you can do that. Start taking stuff like that away from yourself and see how you feel."

Grossbart said the lawsuit was necessary because Illinois has been dragging its feet when it comes to helping people move into smaller, more independent homes that advocates say let the disabled to grow and ineract more often with the community. As of 2009, only 38 percent of the state's developmentally disabled lived in such homes, according to the 2011 State of the States in Developmental Disabilities, a study by the Unverisity of Colorado that was partially funded by the federal government. That's compared to 75 percent nationwide.

"I'm happy," said Stanley Ligas, 43, the lead plaintiff in the case. "I'm ready to move. Hallelujah, I made it!"

Ligas currently lives in a larger group home setting and has a part-time job, he said. But he added that he's looking forward to being able to work full-time once he moves into a smaller home.

Advocates have launched several lawsuits in recent years aimed at giving Illinois' disabled population more housing options. Last fall, a federal judge approved a similar consent decree that allows for about 4,000 mentally ill Illinoisans to move out of institutions.

In a statement a spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Human Services said the agency is pleased with the agreement.

"[It] will open up more community-based care options for people with disabilities who choose it," spokeswoman Januari Smith said. "We want to thank everyone who came together to put the needs of people with disabilities first. The department has worked hard to reach a settlement, and will continue to work diligently with all parties involved."

The settlement stipulates that the state must now help people who want to move out of the institutions to find new homes in the smaller, community care settings. The total cost of that placement depends on how many people want to move, Smith said, adding that average cost of a community setting for a full year is about $32,000.

Categories: Health
Tags: health

AP - Illinois Public Media News - June 16, 2011

Health Alliance Receives 90-Day Extension

Health Alliance Receives 90-Day Extension

Most state and university employees could choose to stay on with their existing health care plans for the next three months.

Categories: Government, Health, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - June 16, 2011

Illinois Legislators to Meet with Quinn About Gambling Bill

Illinois legislators are meeting with Governor Pat Quinn Thursday in hopes of winning his support for a gambling expansion bill.

Quinn has spoken out against the legislation -- approved last month-- which would add slot machines and five new casinos, including one in Danville.

Rather than give Quinn the chance to veto or change the package, either of which would likely kill it, legislators used a technical maneuver to keep it from going to the governor's desk.

Senate sponsor Terry Link (D-30th) said the hold gives him time to assuage the governor's concerns.

"Yeah, we will increase in size but you know we're not up there being another Las Vegas by any means," he said.

Link said he is open to talking with Quinn if the governor has any suggestions on how to downsize the measure. But said the casino set to go in his district near Waukegan would have to remain.

House sponsor Lou Lang (D-16th) will also be in on talks with Quinn.

"To the extent that I can accommodate the governor, I'm willing to listen to him. Willing to hear what he wants to do. But I'm not willing to state upfront that I'm prepared to shrink the bill down," Lang said.

However, Lang said he won't accept substantial changes.


AP - Illinois Public Media News - June 15, 2011

ACLU: Indiana Law Banning Planned Parenthood Funds ‘Counter-Productive

The head of the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana says the new Hoosier law that bars funds going to Planned Parenthood may actually lead to more unwanted pregnancies.

Ken Falk submitted the ACLU's final written arguments this week in its case to get $1.2 million in federal funding restored to its client, Planned Parenthood of Indiana.

"If everyone agrees that abortion is not a good thing, then doesn't it make sense to make it easy and to encourage women to get family planning services?" Falk said. "At some point, this is extremely counter-productive, that it is being done here to strip these thousands of woman of their provider of choice."

Falk is also trying to use Indiana's own legal opinions against itself. Prior to the law's passage this spring, Indiana lawmakers received word from the Indiana Legislative Services Agency that the legislation would violate federal guidelines. Federal policy allows eligible Medicaid participants to obtain medical services from providers of their choice.

The head of the federal government's Medicaid program sent a letter along those lines to Indiana's Family and Social Services Administration. The letter stated that Indiana's law is illegal and the state could face penalties if it did not restore Planned Parenthood's funding.

Some 22,000 low-income Hoosier women depend on Medicaid for general and family-planning care. They are affected by Indiana's new law, which bans Medicaid and other funding to any agency that performs abortions. The law also bars abortions after the 20th week of pregnancy.

Falk said the measure is misguided, because federal law already bans Medicaid money being spent on abortions. Planned Parenthood uses Medicaid money to provide family planning and other health services that are not related to abortion.

The Indiana Attorney General's office is defending the law before U.S. District Court Judge Tanya Walton Pratt, who presides in Indianapolis. The state of Indiana contends the court fight should be between the federal government and the state, and should not involve Planned Parenthood and the ACLU. Pratt is expected to rule on the ACLU's injunction request by July 1st.

Falk said if funding isn't restored soon, Planned Parenthood may lay off employees. So far, the organization has stayed afloat because private donors around the country have contributed more than $100,000.

Indiana Gov. Mich Daniels said he supports the law since most Hoosiers oppose abortion.

Categories: Government, Health, Politics

WILL - Illinois Public Media News - June 15, 2011

LIFE ON ROUTE 150: Food Insecurity Grows in East Central Illinois

(With additional reporting by Pam Dempsey/CU-CitizenAccess)

The term "food desert' has gained traction in recent years as a name for areas with a shortage of full-service food stores. But it's not clear how big a role they play in the lives of people who struggle to get the food they need. As part of the series "Life on Route 150," Illinois Public Media's Jim Meadows visited the Piatt County town of Mansfield. The people there have enough to eat, but they have to travel to get it.

Download mp3 file
Categories: Business, Health

WILL - Illinois Public Media News - June 15, 2011

U of I Employees Question Health Care Contracts as Deadline Approaches

Prior to Tuesday's vote by the the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability, University of Illinois employees were asking a number of questions with the Friday open enrollment deadline quickly approaching.

As things stand now, state workers and retirees still have until Friday to choose a health insurance plan. At one of the last outreach sessions on the Urbana campus, employees were being advised to choose the one they want, although they could still be defaulted into the Quality Care Health Plan option at the deadline.

One employee, Becky Heller, said her biggest concern is being allowed to change her mind if a better choice becomes available.

"They're not letting us know whether that's a guarantee or not," Heller said. "They're saying they think that they'll open enrollment again, and they think that they'll let us switch if things change, but they're not guaranteeing that. So we very well may be stuck with whatever we choose for an entire year."

Heller said she may have to consider an HMO plan in a nearby county and find a new doctor, but would still be paying lower premiums than what is in the Quality Care plan.

Employee Kathryn Smith said her concern is the state's backlog of bills, and the time it takes hospitals to be reimbursed.

"I don't know if any business in this country today that has its doors open if it's creditors don't pay them within a year," Smith said. "I'm a little concerned that our hospitals aren't going to survive this if we are left on this Quality Care Health Plan."

Brenda Butts is assistant director of University Payroll and Benefits at the U of I's Urbana campus. She said even if an employee chooses an option they ultimately cannot enroll in, Butts said she believes the state will benefit by simply seeing how many have opted for a particular plan, or 'voted' for it.


WILL - Illinois Public Media News - June 15, 2011

Champaign Council Rejects Liquor Tax Plan

The Champaign City Council has reversed course on plans for a four-percent tax on package liquor.

The plan to raise revenue was unanimously rejected after hearing from a number of business owners.

A few weeks after approving it in a six-to-three vote, the city council shot down the plan during Tuesday night's study session nine-to-nothing. The proposal was seen as a way to restore funding for three positions at the police department, and overnight hours at the front desk.

But liquor store owners say it is unfair to single out one industry to save those jobs. Sun Singer Wines owner Mark Yarbrough said it is not a question of whether he would lose business to neighboring Savoy, but how much of it. He said the tax would take a lot of work to implement.

"There's a lot of unseen and mitigating circumstances that say this is a hasty rush to judgment to pass this tax without thoroughly studying it," Yarbrough said. "And I believe it would take many study sessions in order for you to have a comprehensive understanding what is actually going on here."

Council member Karen Foster suggested the tax last month, but she said she did not anticipate the opposition. Mayor Don Gerard said he was simply looking for something to fulfill a campaign pledge to fund the police jobs, but the vote Tuesday was simply about the tax.

"As I've said all along, I don't like taxes. I don't want to do a tax. My point is retaining the services to the public," Gerard said. "And I was very heartened with the fact that most of the responses agreed and concurred that they, too would like to see the police station overnight. They just don't want to be taxed on their liquor."

Gerard said city may have to transfer existing funds, but will continue to look at new revenue sources. Council members expect to discuss those revenue sources by next month, after voting on a budget plan next Tuesday.

Categories: Economics, Government, Politics

WILL - Illinois Public Media News - June 14, 2011

State Sen. Frerichs to Run for Re-Election

State Senator Mike Frerichs (D- Champaign) says he has decided against a run for the re-drawn 13th Congressional District against incumbent Congressman Tim Johnson (R-Urbana).

Frerichs said it would interfere too much on time with his young daughter. But he does say his party has a good chance of picking up the Congressional seat, where Johnson has been lumped into a largely unfamiliar territory near St. Louis.

"I think the 13th Congressional District is largely unrepresented by an incumbent," Frerichs said. "I think it will be a good year for Democrats to run. In my meetings with folks in Washington, DC, I think they could answer all my questions except how one can serve as a good congressman and spend enough time with their family."

Frerichs said he is proud of reforms made to areas like education and worker's compensation, but he said many challenges await him, such as current changes to group health insurance for state workers.

His current 52nd Senate District did not change much in the redistricting map approved by Governor Pat Quinn, but Frerichs said it should be less confusing to constituents now that it covers nearly all of Champaign.

Meanwhile, the first Republican candidate has announced a run for Frerichs' seat.

Political Activist John Bambenek said a lot of incumbent state lawmakers are not leading with courage on issues like the budget and worker's compensation. Bambenek added that he is worried about their impact on future generations.

"And this issue is what major businesses like Caterpillar, Boeing, and manufacturing and industrial industries say is the biggest issue for them of the business climate in Illinois that needs (to be) addressed," Bambenek explained. "This is the biggest thing driving businesses out of the state."

Bambanek says he's spoken with two other possible Republican candidates for the office: Al Reynolds, who lost to Frerichs last year, and Champaign County Board member Al Nudo. "They have to make their decision about whether they're moving forward," said Bambanek. "They have their stories to tell, I think mine is more compelling."

He said this time around, any successful candidate will have to spend about $1.5 million in order to compete, but believes the resources will be available. Bambenek unsuccessfully ran for the Champaign Unit 4 School Board in 2007.

Categories: Biography, Government, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - June 14, 2011

Ill. Legislative Commission Approves Emergency Health Contracts

(With additional reporting from Illinois Public Media)

A Sangamon County judge's ruling last week threw health insurance enrollment for state and university employees and retirees into chaos, but people concerned about their health care options may see some reprieve.

A bipartisan legislative panel on Tuesday authorized the use of 90-day emergency health plans, which could include current insurers. That means those with Health Alliance, Humana and various Open Access Plans should be able to remain with those providers temporarily.

Still undecided, however, is which health care providers will be available for that period. That decision is up to Healthcare and Family Services Director Julie Hamos. She said all current providers will be welcome to the negotiations, which she said will start immediately and be finalized before Friday's open enrollment deadline.

That is the deadline for individuals to pick new medical insurance coverage. Janice Bonneville is in charge state employees' medical benefits. She said given the time crunch, she needs to be able to tell workers what to do.

"If we can make some additional adjustments and send information out to members through the group insurance representatives, through our website, through their unions to tell them that additional options are available we will do that," Bonneville said. "But right now the glass is half empty. I'm trying to get it half full."

It is unclear what happens when the three-month emergency health plans expire. They could be extended while the courts work through the issue, but there is no guarantee. Officials are considering an additional benefit enrollment period later this fall.

State Senator Mike Frerichs (D-Champaign) sits on the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability, which gave the green light for the 90-day contracts. Frerichs said the vote is a good solution for now, but he said he would like to see Governor Pat Quinn sign legislation that he sponsored to continue existing coverage for the next couple of years.

"I think this is a good short-term solution to a problem that was kind of created by the courts," Frerichs said. "Going forward, I'd like to see my bill signed, but I think it's been made fairly clear that the governor does not intend to sign that."

Frerichs urges state employees who are concerned about their health insurance to pick a plan by Friday, but to wait first to find out which providers will be available.

Health Alliance released a statement Tuesday, saying it will be an option for state employees as early as Wednesday:

"However, as of this writing, CMS has not agreed to any extension of the Benefit Choice Period. Therefore, if you want to stay with Health Alliance but you made another selection, you will have to act quickly. As soon as Health Alliance is available as an option, you'll have to make a switch back to Health Alliance. And that switch will have to be made before the June 17 deadline."

To get updated information about benefit choice options leading up to Friday's open enrollment deadline, visit benefitschoice.IL.gov

Categories: Government, Health, Politics

WILL - Illinois Public Media News - June 13, 2011

State Rep. Chad Hays Running for Re-Election

State Representative Chad Hays is running for re-election in the 104th House District.

The Catlin Republican made the announcement Monday morning during a stop at the Champaign County Farm Bureau. He said he will continue pushing for improved funding for the state's colleges and universities, and more incentives to keep businesses in Illinois

"We're a little bit outnumbered north of I-80, and those that we send to Springfield have to have a passion and a conviction for standing up for east central Illinois," Hays told a crowd. "I believe I have that passion and conviction."

Hays was elected to the Illinois House last year, replacing long-time Republican state legislator, Bill Black, who retired after nearly 25 years in office.

Hays previously served as vice-president of development for Provena United Samaritans Medical Center, and two terms as mayor of Catlin in the 1990s.

New lines for legislative districts show the 104th district now includes Savoy, southwest Champaign County, and Vermilion County. No other candidates have jumped into that race.

(Photo by Sean Powers/WILL)

Categories: Biography, Government, Politics

Page 477 of 710 pages ‹ First  < 475 476 477 478 479 >  Last ›