Illinois Public Media News
The director emeritus of the University of Illinois' Institute for Government and Public Affairs is being remembered as a soft-spoken individual with a passion for government and public service.
Samuel Gove passed away died in Urbana Friday after a short illness. He was 87. Gove was with IGPA from 1950 until 1985, but was also active in government, serving on transition teams for Governors Dan Walker and Jim Edgar.
Former legislator and comptroller Dawn Clark Netsch served with Gove on the board of Illinois Issues magazine, which he founded. She said civic education for young people was really important to Gove.
"He was very determined and very insistent on that - and never forgot it, always kept coming back to it," Netsch said. "So that was another part of his character. He had not only a strong sense of what government should be, but a strong sense of how young people should be bred into it, if you will."
Netsch said Gove expressed his opinion in a quiet way.
"He was not a bombastic, flamboyant, in-your-face kind of a personality," she said. "But he had strong views on some things, and he certainly had very strong ways of expressing those."
Gove also conducted 17 statewide assemblies, one of them, in 1962, set issues for the 1970 Constitutional Convention. Robert Rich, the current director of IGPA, said Gove was "Mr. Illinois.'
No visitation or funeral services are planned. A celebration of Gove's life will be planned for a later date.
Every two years during the last week of January, communities across the country try to answer a difficult question: How many people are living without permanent shelter? This point in time survey is the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development's effort to determine the number of homeless people nationwide and understand more about their characteristics. CU-CitizenAccess reporter Dan Petrella went along on this year's count in Champaign-Urbana.
(Photo by Acton Gorton/CU-CitizenAccess)
More than 400 gamers from east-central Illinois and across the country are expected to attend the 38th annual Winter War Gaming Convention during the January 28-30 weekend at the Hawthorne Suites in Champaign.
Convention Chairman Don McKinney said the Winter War convention is the longest continuously running convention in the Midwest devoted to adventure gaming, as compared to video games.
"This is old-school, table-top, face-to-face gaming," McKinney explained. "Board games where your opponent is sitting across the table from you. Some of them have been computerized, but we're planning the table-top, board game style here.
McKinney said gaming events at Winter War 38 also involve play with painted figures and battlefield simulation. There are also events where games where players who usually compete over the Internet such as Forgotten Realms and Pathfinder Society can engage with players in person.
Winter War was started by students at the U of I Urbana campus in the 1970s, and was held on campus for several years. McKinney said as the convention grew, it moved to now defunct Chancellor Hotel, before moving to its present home at the Hawthorn Suites. McKinney said what was once an event for students now attracts players of all ages --- he notes that both he and his college-age son will be playing.
Winter War 38 runs day and night, through Sunday afternoon, January 30.
A union representing 800 University of Illinois service employees voted with overwhelming support Thursday to give its members the right to walk off the job.
Contract negotiations between the Service Employees International Union Local 73 and the U of I have gone on for six months. The union is asking for new contracts that include better pay and employee benefits for campus building and food service workers.
Union organizer Ricky Baldwin said the U of I has proposed salary cuts and pay freezes for the workers, which the union has rejected. The university is currently waiting on more than $400 million in state payments. Baldwin said he understand that the U of I is going through some tough economic challenges, but he said union workers are still entitled to better pay and employee benefits.
"We understand that the economy is not good, the budget is not good, but we also know the university has a lot of money," Baldwin said.
Baldwin cites a 37.5 percent salary increase for U of I President Michael Hogan over what former university President B. Joseph White was earning. He also points to the university paying outside consultants $1.7 million to train administrators to 'Plan to Plan', and Board of Trustees giving the green light to raising the U of I's overall operating budget by 3.9 percent.
"They're giving top administrators raises," Baldwin said. "They can afford to give us 30-to-40 cents an hour. It won't break the bank."
Baldwin said workers could walk off the job within a few months if a deal is not reached.
Meanwhile, U of I spokeswoman Robin Kaler said any discussion of a strike is premature and counterproductive.
"The University remains confident that the parties will be able to reach an agreement through good faith negotiations," Kaler said.
The two sides will return to the bargaining table Friday at 9 a.m. at the Florida Avenue Residence Halls. An hour before the meeting, union workers will be picketing.
Rahm Emanuel will stay on the ballot. That's the word from the Illinois Supreme Court. In a stinging rebuke, the Court overturned an appellate court ruling that found Emanuel failed to meet a one-year residency requirement to run for Chicago mayor. The Supreme Court majority opinion said the "novel standard adopted by the appellate court majority is without any foundation in Illinois law. "
The justices unanimously found that the appellate court was wrong in overruling decisions by the Chicago Election Board and a Cook County Circuit Court judge that Emanuel had fulfilled residency requirements.
"Only when abandonment is proven is residency lost," according to the majority ruling. "Again, because it is uncontested that the candidate was a Chicago resident at least until January 2, 2009, when he resigned his office as Representative from the Fifth Congressional District of Illinois, the Board correctly determined that the relevant question was not whether the candidate had established residency in Chicago, but rather whether the objectors had proved by a preponderance of the evidence that thecandidate had abandoned that residency at any time during the one year period before the February 22, 2011, election."
In explaining its decision further, the Supreme Court majority wrote:
"So there will be no mistake, let us be entirely clear. This court's decision is based on the following and only on the following: (1) what it means to be a resident for election purposes was clearly established long ago, and Illinois law has been consistent on the matter since at least the 19th Century; (2) the novel standard adopted by the appellate court majority is without any foundation in Illinois law; (3) the Board's factual findings were not against the manifest weight of the evidence; and (4) the Board's decision was not clearly erroneous."
The decision likely ends the months-long debate over whether Emanuel's time living in Washington, D.C. while working as President Obama's chief of staff meant that he had given up his Chicago residency. A former congressman from the city's North Side, Emanuel has insisted he always intended to return to Chicago after completing his White House service.
This fall, more than two dozen objections were filed with the Chicago Board of Elections seeking to have Emanuel removed from the ballot. The hearings that followed included a nearly 12-hour testimony from Emanuel himself. A hearing officer eventually ruled in favor of the candidate, a recommendation confirmed by the three commissioners on the election board.
On judicial review, the decision was upheld by Cook County Circuit Court Judge Mark Ballard, but reversed by a state appellate court panel this past Monday. In a 2-to-1 ruling, the appeals court found that Emanuel was indeed eligible to vote in the February 22nd election, but was not eligible to be a candidate.
Less than a day later, Emanuel's team appealed the decision, and within hours the Supreme Court agreed to consider the case on an expedited basis. At roughly the same time, the court ordered the election board to include Emanuel's name on all ballots it was printing while the appeal was still under consideration.
The state Supreme Court's decision to keep Emanuel on the ballot likely ends the ballot challenge. Earlier this month, lawyers for both sides acknowledged there was no U.S. Constitutional issue that could land the case in the federal courts.
Emanuel returned to Chicago in October of 2010. This followed the announcement by longtime Mayor Richard Daley that he would not seek re-election to the office.
In a recent Chicago Tribune poll taken before the appeals court ruling, Emanuel held a wide lead over the five other candidates in the race. Emanuel was garnering 44 percent, with former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley Braun winning 21 percent. Gery Chico, a former school board head appointed by Daley, had 16 percent, with City Clerk Miguel del Valle at 7 percent.
Former non-profit director Patricia Van Pelt Watkins and community activist and frequent candidate Bill "Dock" Walls are also on the ballot.
(Photo by Sam Hudzik/IPR)
Former Chicago police Cmdr. Jon Burge will get to keep his public pension benefits, despite a federal conviction for lying about the torture of criminal suspects, a police pension board voted Thursday.
The 4-4 vote by the Policeman's Annuity and Benefit Fund of Chicago means that Burge, 63, will be able to collect rouhgly $3,000 in benefits each month for the rest of his life. Five votes were needed to terminate Burge's pension.
Thursday's vote comes less than a week after Federal Judge Joan Lefkow sentenced Burge to 4 1/2 years in prison for lying about the torture of scores of criminal suspects during the 1970s and 1980s. In 2006, a special prosecutor found Burge likely oversaw the beating, suffocation and electro-shocking of suspects in police custody, but he was never charged for the abuse because the statue of limitations had run out.
Burge's perjury conviction stems from false statements he made in 2003 connected to a civil trial. He was fired from the Chicago Police Department in 1993 for mistreating a suspect. Pension board trustee Michael Shields, who voted against cancelling Burge's benefits, said Thursday's vote had nothing to do with the torture allegations. He said Burge was no longer on the force when he perjured himself.
"I don't want Chicago police officers to, you know, live in fear that 15 years after their retirement - such as Mr. Burge's case - they will be stripped of their pension fund," Shields said. "Jon Burge was no longer serving the police department. He was no longer acting in any official capacity as a Chicago Police Officer."
Illinois pension law says employees should lose their pensions if they're convicted of a felony "relating to or arising out of or in connection with" their job.
Chicago City Treasurer Stephanie Neely, the board member who moved to ax Burge's pension, acknowledged that the perjury took place a decade after he'd left the police department. But she said there's no doubt his actions were connected to his job.
If the trustees had voted to terminate Burge's retirement benefits, he would have been in for a one-time $66,000 payout, and could have appealed the decision to a Cook County court. But Thursday's vote leaves no room for appeal, said a lawyer for the board.
"To me, there was enough gray in the law that I would like to see the appellate court's decision," Neely said.
(With additional reporting from the Associated Press)
U.S. Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana says he will not seek the Republican nomination for president in 2012.
The Indianapolis Star reports Pence told supporters in a letter Thursday that he will bypass a White House bid. There is no word yet on whether he'll run for Indiana governor.
The congressman's future has been the subject of speculation since he resigned the No. 3 GOP House leadership slot after winning sixth term in November.
The 51-year-old Pence is a darling of social conservatives and had made multiple trips to states that host early presidential primary contests. He lacked name recognition in what's likely to be a crowded field for the 2012 nomination for president.
State law bars Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels from seeking a third term.
(Photo courtesy of Mike Pence)
Unemployment rates dropped in December in every county in Illinois for the first time since data collection by the Illinois Department of Employment Security began in 1974.
The department reported Thursday there were 46,300 more jobs in Illinois last month than there were in December 2009. It was the fourth consecutive monthly year-over-year increase.
According to employment security, the Illinois metropolitan areas recording the largest declines in unemployment were Rockford, down 3.3 points to 13 percent; Peoria, down 2.5 points to 8.8 percent, and Decatur, down 2.2 points to 10.4 percent.
The Chicago-Joliet-Naperville metropolitan area saw its unemployment rate drop 2 points to 8.6 percent. Overall Illinois unemployment in December was 8.8 percent.
Employment Security director Maureen O'Donnell says despite the weak economy, the long-term trend has Illinois gaining jobs.
The independent documentary, "For Once in My Life," will be screened at Illinois Public Media's Community Cinema series. The film is an infectious, expectation-defying look at the Spirit of Goodwill band, a unique assembly of singers and musicians with a wide range of mental and physical challenges. The screening will be followed by a discussion of local issues. Community Engagement Producer Henry Radcliffe talks about the documentary will Illinois Public Media's Celeste Quinn.
A legal dispute between the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (C-U MTD) and the Champaign Southwest Mass Transit District (CSWMTD) is a step closer to heading to the Illinois Supreme Court.
The C-U MTD board voted unanimously Wednesday to appeal a ruling by the Fourth District Appellate Court stating that the two transit districts can share boundaries.
The CSWMTD was approved by voters in 2006 as a response to the C-U MTD annexing property in Southwest Champaign. Voters wanted to prevent C-U MTD service from coming into certain neighborhoods. Some people who live where the two transit districts overlap pay property taxes for both services, even though the CSWMTD provides no transit service.
"We don't think that Illinois law permits double taxation for identical services," C-U MTD attorney Marc Ansel said. "There have been cases in Illinois involving identical local governments seeking to tax and service the same territory, and the supreme court of Illinois we believe has said that can't be done in the state of Illinois."
Ansel said he hopes the Illinois Supreme Court will decide to hear the case within a couple of months. He said if that happens, oral arguments could begin later this year.
Meanwhile, the CSWMTD board voted to appeal the appellate court's ruling earlier this month also stating that residents should not have to pay higher taxes for two transit services. If there is a final court decision, CSWMTD Chairman Ed Vaughan acknowledges that his group may have to come to a decision about whether to actually provide bus service.
"We've been recognizing that we've got that coming for quite some time, and every one of us pondering exactly what we think we ought to do," Vaughan said. "And we will have that discussion.
Page 633 of 804 pages ‹ First < 631 632 633 634 635 > Last ›