Listing of 9/11 Memorial Observances
Tuesday marks the 11th anniversary of the September 11th attacks in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania. Here is a roundup of some of the events being held to remember that day in east central Illinois.
- 7:45 AM, U of I Quad, Urbana
Volunteers ranging from students to elected officials will begin placing small U-S flags on the lawn of the Quad, in memory of the victims of the 9/11 attacks. The name of a victim will be attached to each flag. A memorial vigil will follow on the Quad at 8:30 PM. Sponsored by the UIUC College Republicans and the Illini Conservative Union.
- 7:46 AM, Smith Memorial Hall, 805 S Matthews Ave, U of I campus, Urbana
Memorial Concert presented by the university’s School of Music. The Jupiter String Quartet will perform music of Ravel and Beethoven. The concert is timed to start at the moment the first plane hit the north tower of the World Trade Center on September 11th. The audience is asked to enter and leave in silence.
- 8 AM, Police & Fire Memorial, West Side Park, corner of Church & State Streets, Champaign.
The Champaign Police and Fire Departments will hold a brief memorial ceremony.
- 8 AM, VFW Jewell Whyte Post 728, 8 Pine Street, Danville
9/11 prayer breakfast.
- 4PM – 7:30 PM, American Legion Post 201, 201 Prospect Pl., Danville
Patriot Day chicken and noodle dinner. Price: $6
- 6 PM, Paxton Firehouse, 310 N Market St, Paxton
Remembrance Day Program; guest speaker: State Treasurer Dan Rutherford.
- 6:30 PM, Wesley United Methodist Church & Foundation, Green Street, on U of I campus, Urbana
Students will package meals to fight local hunger, and take part in an interfaith dialog. Sponsored by Interfaith in Action, the Muslim Students Association, Illini Hillel and the Sikh Students Association in partnership with Illini Fighting Hunger.
- 7 PM, Daum Ampitheater at Kiwanis Park, Charleston
Patriot Day Concert in the Park, featuring the Coles County Barbershop Chorus.