Illinois Public Media News

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 30, 2009

41 Probable Swine Flu Cases Counted in Illinois

Illinois health officials say the number of probable H1N1 or swine flu cases in the state has more than doubled to 41.

The numbers released Thursday night are all located in northern Illinois, including 16 in Chicago and 11 in Cook County.

The others are seven in Kane County, three in Will County, two in DuPage County, and one each in McHenry County and Lake County.

The cases are called "probable'' because they haven't yet been confirmed by federal testing.

The outbreak of the new virus strain is suspected of causing 168 deaths in Mexico. One death has been confirmed in the United States. In most confirmed U.S. cases, the patients are recovering.

Categories: Government, Health, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 29, 2009

UI Students in Mexico Have the Choice of Staying or Leaving

Seven University of Illinois students have been given the option of coming home or staying in Mexico for the rest of their study-abroad programs.

The assistant director of the U of I's study-abroad office, Erika Ryser, says there isn't much for the students to do since the swine flu outbreak started making headlines last week.

"Their Universities have canceled classes through May 6 -- it's a national move," Ryser said. "So they're all kind of staying put in their housing -- most of them are with host families -- except for those who've made arrangements to come home."

Ryser says the study-abroad office is monitoring health and government websites and working with a network of other university offices to inform their students and determine what to do about summer programs in Mexico. She says two of the seven spring-semester students have opted to return to the United States.

Categories: Education, Health

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 29, 2009

9 Swine Flu Cases “Probable” in Illinois

The head of the Illinois Department of Public Health says the state has logged nine probable cases of swine flu, all in northern Illinois.

Dr. Damon Arnold says five of the probable cases are in Chicago, while two are in Kane County and single cases are being reported in both Lake and DuPage counties. The people diagnosed range in age from 2 to 57.

Arnold says all of the cases so far have been mild and nobody has been hospitalized.

Arnold appeared at a news conference Wednesday called in the wake of Chicago's decision to close an elementary school after one student there was found to have a probable case of swine flu.

Arnold, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, Gov. Pat Quinn and other officials all stressed that the state is working hard to prevent further illnesses.

Categories: Government, Health, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 29, 2009

Pickus Withdraws from Future Development at Champaign Burnham Site

Any future development at the old Burnham Hospital site in Champaign will be done without its original developer. Highland Park-based Pickus Companies is withdrawing from future phases of development at the site where it's already built a high-rise apartment building and supermarket.

The Champaign City Council deadlocked last week on a proposal to open the later phases of development at the Burnham site to other bidders. Several council members were unhappy with the Pickus Companies over delays in finishing the the Burnham 310 building, and delays in paying local subcontractors. A second vote to settle the question was expected last night. But city attorney Fred Stavens told the council that Pickus had decided to withdraw from the development of the rest of the Burnham property entirely.

That's fine with Councilman Tom Bruno, who says he likes the 18-story Burnham 310 building, but not the way Pickus does business. "Their delay in paying local subcontractors for the work that they did is inexcusable," said Bruno. "And I was very reluctant to enter any additional agreements with them."

Deputy City Manager for Development Craig Rost says the city will now likely seek bidders from other firms for residential development on the remaining city-owned lots on the Burnham site. But he doesn't expect any actual construction to start until 2011 at the earliest, due to the economy.

Categories: Government, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 28, 2009

Christie Clinic Settles with State Over Medicaid Patient Lawsuit

Christie Clinic has joined Carle Clinic in agreeing to increase the number of Medicaid patients it accepts for treatment.

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan sued the two Champaign-Urbana medical clinics two years ago - claiming they conspired illegally to stop accepting new Medicaid patients. Carle settled with the state last December. And late yesterday (Monday), the attorney general's office announced Christie had done the same.

Under the settlement, Christie Clinic will increase the number of Medicaid patients it takes in for primary health care to 85-hundred over the next three years. And those patients can't be turned away for existing medical debt for a four-year period prior to the state's lawsuit --- that's when the attorney general says qualified Medicaid patients were turned away. Christie will also make payments to Frances Nelson Health Center and the Champaign Urbana Public Health District to help pay for medical and dental care for low-income patients.

Christie spokeswoman Karen Blatzer denies that happened, and she said the suit was settled to curb costs. "We don't want the perception to be that we are guilty. But we feel that it is more important to provide the health care our community needs, and being involved in this lawsuit was expensive and very distracting," Blatzer said.

Blatzer did not know how much the additional Medicaid patient load would cost Christie. The clinic has agreed to increase its Medicaid patient rolls to 85-hundred by 2012.

Blatzer says the payments to Frances Nelson Health Center and the Champaign Urbana Public Health District equal when Christie has given to them in the past.


AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 28, 2009

Champaign City Officials to Unveil Budget Plan at Tuesday City Council Meeting

Champaign City Finance Director Richard Schnuer says it's the toughest budget he's ever worked on. But Schnuer says the 109-million dollar budget plan to be presented to the City Council Tuesday night is balanced, thanks in part to 2-point-5 million dollars in cuts to recurrent spending items.

To make the cuts, the Champaign budget plan calls for doing away with 25 fulltime city jobs over the next few years. Schnuer says most of the positions are currently vacant or expected to become vacant due to staff turnover. "We selected those that would have the least impact on services," says Schnuer. "I want the public to be very assured that when they call 911, 911 will dispatch police and firefighters who will come as quickly as usual."

The budget plan also projects a million dollars in new revenue due to new or increased city fees. And it reallocates money between various city funds, to pay for increased pension funding and other items.

Schnuer says the budget proposal for the fiscal year starting July 1st is part of a multi-year strategy to deal with decreasing city tax revenue, due to the recession. The Champaign City Council will work on the budget during study sessions in May --- with a public hearing set for May 19th. Final council passage is set for June 2nd.

Categories: Government, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 27, 2009

Champaign County Health Professionals Recall Their Pandemic Training

Local health departments are keeping an eye out for the potential of a flu outbreak, but they've been planning for such an occasion for years.

Champaign-Urbana Public Health District director Julie Pryde says even though there have been no reported cases of swine flu in Illinois, there are some common sense measures you should be following, whether or not there's an outbreak. One is to stay home from work or school if you're sick.

"If you have a fever, stay home, contact your doctor or your health care provider," Pryde said. "Don't go around other people when you are sick. That's good public health practice in general, but it's especially important during a time where there is a potential for a pandemic outbreak."

The health district has been promoting a "Stock Two for Flu" campaign for the past few years - it asks shoppers to buy one or two extra food items or other personal needs to keep in stock at home in case a flu pandemic keeps them at home. But she stresses that there's no need to fear or panic over the potential.

School officials are trying to spread the word that cleanliness is also important in keeping influenza at bay - principals in Champaign Unit 4 are being asked to make sure their students are regularly washing their hands.


AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 27, 2009

Illinois On Watch for Swine Flu Cases

Illinois public health officials say swine flu has yet to show up in the state, but it will eventually.

Doctor Damon Arnold, the state's public health director, says his agency is closely monitoring the situation....

"The department and its public health partners including local health departments, hospitals and emergency departments are on full alert to watch for possible cases," Arnold said. "We are prepared to act swiftly to assure early detection and warning and to respond in the event of a case or cases are identified to limit its spread within the state."

The swine flu has proven deadly in Mexico... but the cases in the U-S have so far been milder. Arnold says the state has been planning for a pandemic event over the past few years, and says a 2006 training exercise focused on what the state would do if a similar flu outbreak occurred. He says the public should go about normal routines, but those who are feeling ill should stay home.

Categories: Government, Health, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 26, 2009

Central Illinois Lawmakers Show Their Differences Over State Budget

A couple of central Illinois lawmakers staked out sides on the state budget debate, during an appearance in Champaign on Saturday.

Democrat Mike Frerichs and Republican Dale Righter agree that Illinois needs to rein in spending to address an 11-point-6 billion dollar deficit. But the two state senators disagree on the income tax hike proposed by Governor Pat Quinn. Frerichs, of Champaign, says that to balance the budget, some sort of tax increase is unavoidable. "Now there's been opposition to the extent the governor proposed raising the income tax and the increase in personal exemptions, and so I think there's going to be some sort of compromise there," said Frerichs. "But at the end of the day, I think we're going to have to find new revenue for the state of Illinois".

But Righter, of Mattoon, says the deficit doesn't have to be eliminated all at once. He says that in the 1990s, lawmakers and then-Governor Jim Edgar spread deficit reduction over several years, and the same approach could work now. "The Senate Deficit Reduction Committee put proposals out there that were annual savings of over three-billion dollars a year," Righter says. "Now you couple that with a multi-year program, and you have at least the basic blueprint for achieving (a balanced budget)."

Frerichs and Righter took part in a panel on the state budget at the Illinois News Broadcasters Association convention in Champaign.

Categories: Government, Politics

AP - Illinois Public Media News - April 24, 2009

Champaign County Board Uses the Last of Its Financial Reserves

The Champaign County Board has approved the last inter-fund loan it can afford, as it tries to keep county government running until new property tax revenue starts coming in this summer.

The County Board voted Thursday night to move up to 250-thousand dollars from the Probation Service Fee Fund to the General Corporate Fund.

County Administrator Deb Busey says they'll put the money back in the Probation Service fund in 45 to 60 days. She says that should hold the county over until property tax revenues begin arriving on June 1st. "And between June and September," she Busey explains, "we will receive about 7 million dollars in property taxes, which will carry us for a tax position until at least next October or November, when we will probably have to re-initiate and start over all the loans that we have taken this year to get us through next spring."

Busey says with this latest loan, Champaign County has borrowed three-and-a-quarter million dollars from various funds to keep the General Corporate Fund in the black.

Finance Committee Chairman Brendan McGinty passed along a warning from Champaign County Treasurer Daniel Welch that the county's reserves are now depleted, and that county expenses must be carefully controlled, while the search for spending cuts and new revenue continues.

Categories: Government, Politics

Page 800 of 833 pages ‹ First  < 798 799 800 801 802 >  Last ›