Producer Director and Senior Producer Director (Two Positions)
Illinois Public Media at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois seeks two true cross-platform innovators and collaborators who are unafraid to try new things, are culturally-savvy, love to brainstorm, can critique constructively, manage cross-platform workloads with ease, and see all the possibilities for content creation at a highly-respected and flourishing public media joint licensee just two hours south of Chicago.
Ideal producer/director candidates have substantial foundational skills in their arsenal, including producing and directing studio-based TV programming, and will also have extensive experience working on field productions. However, said candidates will also be into the idea of leveraging these skills to create short, vibrant video content for multiple platforms, including the web and social media. The folks we’re looking for are great with studio equipment, love the idea of grabbing a couple of DSLRs and heading out the door, and shoot and edit on their phones for kicks. They’re creative thinkers who want to have fun on the job, but also want to tell powerful stories and have high standards for the work they create.
These producer/directors will be cornerstones of a growing creative team at a station coming into its own with award-winning webseries (ART/BTS, Backyard Industry) and documentaries (Ebertfest 2016: Center of the Universe, Barns: An Illinois Story), a rising statewide talk show (The 21st), a CPB-funded statewide news collaboration (Illinois Newsroom), and a blossoming international productions unit. Not only that – Urbana-Champaign is a vibrant, growing community that’s home to the University of Illinois, which means pay is competitive and benefits, including free tuition for University classes, are A+. For more information about Illinois Public Media, please visit our website at will.illinois.edu.
Successful candidates will create, write, produce, and direct interstitial, promotional, fundraising, and community engagement material, as well serial programs, documentaries, and special programming for Illinois Public Media’s outlets: WILL TV, WILL AM/FM, WILL online, and various social media platforms.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, manage, schedule, produce, write, direct, light, shoot, and edit multiplatform content for studio and field productions. These productions include, but are not limited to: Interstitial content, promotional campaigns, fundraising campaigns, and proofs of performance (Producer/Director), as well as program series, program specials, program elements, and short/long form documentary (Senior Producer/Director).
- Working with a core creative team, brainstorm, research, and prioritize potential campaign and program ideas with an eye toward multiplatform distribution.
- Coordinate with the Director of Content and other producers for the allocation of resources and other production activities, working with station content generators and creative teams in all aspects of the production process.
- Acquire necessary rights, clearances and releases for productions.
- In conjunction with the IPM business office, develop and manage project budgets, follow station accounting practices, and generate production activity reports.
- Attend production, departmental, and staff meetings, as needed.
- Participate in Illinois Public Media fundraising activities.
- Foster and maintain relations with staff, crew, College of Media, community leaders, and clients.
- Other duties as assigned and/or required.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
Preferred: Bachelor's in Broadcasting, Communications, or a related field.
- For the title of Producer/Director, two years of proven experience in writing, producing, directing shooting, lighting, and editing content for multiplatform productions, especially television. For the title of Senior Producer Director, five years of the above experience are required.
- Demonstrably strong background with managing multiple projects and assignments.
- Strong video and audio editing competence – preferably in Adobe Premiere and Audition.
- For the title of Senior Producer/Director: Familiarity with other Adobe Creative Cloud applications including: After Effects, Photoshop, and more.
- Proven ability with a variety of production equipment including cameras, nonlinear editors, lights, and more.
- Strong ability to conceptualize, create, and communicate a vision for projects and programs.
- Demonstrably strong writing skills, and the ability to effectively communicate verbally as well as in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work in both a team environment and independently at a high level of productivity.
- Proven ability to work under pressure to successfully meet multiple project deadlines.
- For the title of Senior Producer/Director, exhibited strength in the area of narrative script writing.
- For the title of Senior Producer/Director, demonstrable strong background in the coordination and management of multiple projects, assignments, and direction of support personnel.
- Ability to shoot and edit content on a mobile device (e.g., smartphone).
- Familiarity with other Adobe Creative Cloud applications including: After Effects, Photoshop, and more.
- For the title of Senior Producer/Director: Demonstrated ability to identify and secure funding for productions.
- For the title of Senior Producer/Director: A good feel for graphic design, with the ability to render/create using Adobe Creative Cloud products.
- For the title of Senior Producer/Director: Motion graphics experience (conception and creation).
- Knowledge of broadcast and location production techniques.
- Familiarity with intellectual property rights in use of photos, music and videos.
- Working knowledge of studio and location lighting techniques (strong knowledge required for the title of Senior Producer/Director).
- Working knowledge with equipment and programs utilized in video production and editing, including the Adobe Creative Suite - Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Illustrator, and Photoshop (strong knowledge required for the title of Senior Producer/Director).
- Working knowledge with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Outlook and Excel (strong knowledge required for the title of Senior Producer/Director).
- Experience using Slack, Trello, Google docs, and/or other project management/productivity tools.
- Familiarity with PBS and NPR programming, PBS and NPR promotional materials and the mission of public broadcasting.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by October 9, 2017. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. Please specify if you are applying for the Producer/Director or the Senior Producer Director position or both in your cover letter. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Annetta Allison (217) 265-7648 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).