Dave Benton Internship at Illinois Public Media – Summer, 2017
Dave Benton was a highly-respected journalist who served Champaign-Urbana audiences for a decade at WCIA-TV. In 2014, he shared with viewers that he'd had a recurrence of brain cancer. Benton passed away in May of 2015. Among those he touched through his work was a local resident who wanted to honor Benton's work and legacy by supporting student journalists through an internship at WILL. In cooperation with WCIA, the intern will have the opportunity to spend time in the TV station and newsroom.
Digital News Producer Intern
Illinois Public Media is looking for an intern who's passionate about news for our summer digital producer internship at WILL, the NPR News and PBS station in Champaign-Urbana. Interns work alongside veteran journalists while producing programs on issues relevant to a statewide audience, producing online stories and multimedia packages, scheduling and conducting interviews, writing copy and reporting through social media. The Intern will work 20 hours each week for 15 weeks and be paid $10/hour.
1. Produce live and taped segments for The 21st, a live statewide news program.
2. Produce robust multimedia stories for the newsroom and talk show.
3. Participate in editorial meetings and suggest story ideas, guests and digital treatments.
4. Conduct interviews and write news copy for air, web and social media.
5. Keep up on current issues, events and newsmakers in Central Illinois.
6. Engage with audiences through social media.
7. Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence.
1. Excellent writing skills
2. Digital and data journalism skills
3. Organized and motivated self-starter
4. Previous journalism experience
5. Strong news judgment
6. Experience producing audio, video and written content
7. Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
8. Demonstrated ability to work with a team
9. Schedule must allow for regular blocks of time in the newsroom
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter Niala Boodhoo, Host and Executive Producer, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by April 17, 2017. Interviews may begin sooner, but no candidate will be selected until after the deadline. Illinois Public Media is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.