Gov. Quinn Won’t Testify About 2010 Program
Gov. Pat Quinn says he has no intentions of testifying before a legislative commission about the scandal-laden anti-violence program he started in 2010.
The Chicago Democrat hasn't been subpoenaed or invited less informally. But seven former officials with his administration have been compelled to appear before the Legislative Audit Commission next month.
They're expected to address problems with management and spending under Quinn's $55 million Neighborhood Recovery Initiative.
Quinn started it to combat violence in several Chicago neighborhoods, but a state audit earlier this year found "pervasive'' issues. Federal and Cook County authorities are also investigating the program.
This week Republicans called on Quinn to testify himself.
Quinn dismissed the notion Thursday after an unrelated event. He says he addressed problems, including dismantling the agency that ran the program.