State Capitol Closed For 3 Hours After Bomb Threat

December 04, 2017
The Illinois Statehouse in Springfield.

An undated view of the Illinois Statehouse in Springfield. The building was evacuated Monday afternoon, after authorities received a bomb threat.

Jenna Dooley/WNIJ

UPDATE: A bomb threat led to the evacuation of the Illinois State Capitol Building in Springfield Monday, but the building was reopened after authorities concluded there was no danger.

Dave Druker is spokesman for Secretary of State Jesse White. He says the threat was phoned in about 2:30 p.m. Monday and that Secretary of State Police evacuated the Capitol in downtown Springfield.  

Druker says the department's bomb-sniffing dog was on the scene.  

However, Capitol Police reopened the building about three hours later, after no bomb was found.

The Legislature is not in session.  

Monday's incident follows a series of bomb threats called in to Springfield public schools in recent weeks.

And during a crucial Illinois House budget vote in July, lawmakers and hundreds of others in the state Capitol were locked down while police investigated a suspicious substance found outside the governor's office.  

(This story was updated at 6 PM 12/4/17 to note that no bomb had been found- JM) 

Story source: AP