Academic Advisor (College of Media)
The College of Media is looking for an Academic Advisor who will be responsible for the advising of undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Media. The advisor will holistically support the personal, educational, and career development of Media students. The advisor will work with students from all four majors within the College of Media: Advertising, Computer Science + Advertising, Journalism, and Media & Cinema Studies. Undergraduate student advising is housed in the College of Media’s Student Services Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
Academic Advising (80%)
- Serve as primary academic advisor for an advising caseload of 300+ students, including students from all departments within the College of Media. Meet with students to communicate degree requirements as well as College of Media and University policies. Practice a holistic, developmental advising approving and communicate support resources to students as well as provide information about study abroad, Registered Student Organizations, internships, community involvement, honors programming, and more.
- Monitor student progress toward degree and will be responsible for thorough record-keeping of all student contacts.
- Intentionally work with students placed on academic probation or having issues that are affecting academic progress.
- Coordinate information with Student Services Center (SSC) personnel and academic departments within the College of Media.
Programming and Recruitment (15%)
- Oversee SSC initiatives for two areas including but not limited to programming around diversity, international students, transfer students (including Parkland Pathways), probation programming, James Scholar events, Meet Media welcome event, and other related initiatives
- Assist with recruiting by meeting in-person with prospective and/or admitted students and families, working campus fairs such as Majors and Minors Fair, Orange and Blue Days, Illini Days, attending Mediapalooza, and similar events.
- Facilitate a section of MDIA 100, the College’s credit-bearing orientation course.
- May have opportunities to serve as student group advisor and to participate in domestic and international study trips.
- Assist with the facilitation of Media summer programming, such as summer camp, when necessary.
Administrative Tasks (5%)
- Assist with responding to emails sent to the general SSC email account, as needed.
- Serve as the SSC liaison for one of the College’s academic departments and the associated major(s).
- Facilitate the administrative oversight and communications for some of the College’s minors and/or certificate programs.
- Collaborate with other SSC units such as Media Career Services and the James Scholar Program.
- Assist with the development and review of the variety of materials used by SSC.
- Serve as a committee member for student petitions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in media, communication, counseling, student personnel, education, or related field
Preferred: Master’s degree, preferably in higher education, media, liberal arts, or related field.
Required: Two years of experience in programs of assistance to students in higher education.
Preferred: University of Illinois advising experience; knowledge of College of Media and its majors; experience using Banner and u.Achieve degree audits (or similar) student record systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to respond to concerns, motivations, and learning patterns of undergraduate students.
- Ability to work with computer database applications.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with culturally diverse groups.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Possess strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
This is a 100% full-time Academic Professional position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after January 16, 2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on January 13, 2023. Apply for this position at https://jobs.illinois.edu. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Jane Dowler, firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-333-2351. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217- 333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability or veteran status and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify. Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com.