Donald P. Mullally Internship at Illinois Public Media – Digital News – Spring 2020
Digital News Intern
Illinois Public Media is looking for a student who’s passionate about journalism for our spring digital news internship at WILL, the NPR member station in Champaign-Urbana. Interns learn alongside professional journalists while researching and gathering information for newscasts, feature and digital reports. They will also choose audio clips and write copy for will.illinois.edu and IllinoisNewsroom.org. The Donald P. Mullally Intern will be paid $1,500 and requires a commitment of 10 hours each week for 15 weeks. May also receive internship course credit through JOUR 495.
- Assist in publishing stories online. Tasks include editing photos/audio for web.
- Post stories from AP, NPR and regional partners.
- Post audio segments online from The 21st Talk Show.
- Write onair spots from The 21st Talk Show.
- Help post stories overnight and weekends.
- Research stories, monitor news sources, find interviewees and book interviews.
- Participate in editorial meetings and suggest story ideas and guests.
- Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence.
- Previous journalistic experience
- Organized and motivated self-starter
- Strong news judgment
- Producing audio, video and written content
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team
- Must be enrolled in the College of Media at the University of Illinois
- Photography or photography editing experience.
- Experience publishing news stories.
- Experience editing photos/audio for web.
- Experience sharing stories on professional social media news sites.
Please contact Reginald Hardwick, Director of News and Public Affairs at Illinois Public Media/WILL at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 31, 2019. Start date is immediately after hire.