Visiting Multimedia Environmental Journalist
Illinois Public Media seeks a Visiting Multimedia Environmental Journalist at WILL AM-FM-TV public broadcasting stations licensed to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
We are looking for a talented, engaged journalist who will report about how environmental issues and climate change are affecting the people of Illinois. This person will report general assignment one day a week for local newscasts during NPR magazines. The rest of the week, they’ll produce features for radio and television about environmental stories relevant to a regional audience.
This is the ideal position for a talented multimedia journalist or photojournalist who is tired of chasing spot news in a commercial tv newsroom and wants to report long-form stories on important issues and can tell those stories creatively.
It is also the ideal position for a talented public radio reporter who can file engaging, well-researched stories on for radio. And work with a photographer to also tell those stories with video.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Research & Identify topics related to the environment in Illinois and Midwest, working closely with News & Public Affairs Director, Managing Editor and the rest of the news team.
- Pitch, write, edit and produce stories, features, interviews that can air on radio, television and online.
- Be self-directed in developing contacts, identifying environmental stories relevant to a regional audience.
- Must be able to tell the news story creatively with strong audio and visual skills
- Meet the ethical, technical, legal and aesthetic standards of PBS and NPR.
- Actively use Twitter, Facebook and other social media in the reporting process and sharing stories.
- Respond to breaking news, report live and cover other news as assigned.
- Occasionally back-fill hosting duties on radio newscasts and The 21st Talk Show.
- Participate in pledge drives, marketing activities, community engagement projects and other audience interactions assigned on behalf of Illinois Public Media.
- At least two years news videography and/or radio news storytelling experience (commercial and public radio experience accepted)
- Thrive in fast-paced working environment with pressured deadlines
- Reliable and dependable with flexible schedule; ability to travel with short notice
- Demonstrated experience in audio, video recording and editing equipment
- Links to previous stories on radio or television broadcast news
- Links to previous online stories and professional social media engagement
- Reporting background in environmental or science issues
- DSLR and ENG camera experience
- Adobe Audition, Adobe Creative Suite experience
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Active member of the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA)
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. with or without accommodation
Training, Licenses or Certifications
- Valid Driver's License
- Certified FAA Drone Pilot is a plus
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by January 6th, 2020. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Annetta Allison (217) 265-7648 or email@example.com.
This is a full-time, 12-month visiting academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. Position may become a regular, non-visiting position at a later date depending on continued funding availability.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.