217 Today: Extreme heat highlights federal healthcare program for farmworkers
August 25, 2023
- Some central Illinois schools are staying closed today as the heat wave continues.
- Illinois is the first state to pass a law giving rights and protections to young people that have found their calling as social media influencers.
- It only took a federal jury five hours to convict a top aide to former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan of perjury and obstruction of justice.
- A new Illinois law will require for-profit colleges to pay back state aid if they deceive students
- The Healthy School Meals For All program just became law in Illinois.
In today's deep dive, we’ll learn about how healthcare providers checked on the well-being of farmers affected by the heat this week.
217 Today is produced by Stephanie Mosqueda. Reporting contributed by Mae Antar, Dave McKinney, Lisa Philip, Peter Medlin and Maria Gardner Lara.