217 Today: Tuesday January 19, 2021
- The Illinois Department of Public Health announced Monday that several regions can lift some of the strictest COVID-19 mitigations. Among them -- east-central Illinois’ Region 6, which includes Champaign County.
- Senior citizens over age 65 and frontline essential workers in Illinois will start getting vaccinated on Jan. 25.
- Governor J.B. Pritzker’s decision to prioritize vaccinating the state’s prison population for the Coronavirus is drawing both criticism and praise.
- The mayor of Danville says Martin Luther King Junior’s dream is not fully realized, but still lives in his city.
- The Carle Illinois College of Medicine is accepting submissions –through Friday, Jan. 22 -- for its third-annual Health Make-a-Thon competition.
In today’s deep dive, we speak with the University of Illinois student who created an app that provides digital resources to help people manage their own mental health.
217 Today is produced by Olivia Butts. Reporting today contributed by Hannah Meisel, Jim Meadows and Christine Herman.