Objections Withdrawn Against Three County Board Candidates

September 14, 2018
Champaign County seal, displayed in the Champaign County Boardroom.

Seal of Champaign County, displayed in the County Boardroom at the Brookens Administrative Center in Urbana.

Jim Meadows/Illinois Public Media

Three Champaign County Board candidates whose nominations faced challenges will now get their names on the November ballot without opposition.

The Champaign County Clerk’s office says the objectors challenging the two Democrats and one Republican withdrew their objections Friday morning.

The objections had been filed against Republican P.J. Trautman and Democrat Charles Young in County Board District Six, and incumbent Democrat Christopher Stohr in District Ten.

County Clerk Gordy Hulten had rejected charges of bias from Democrats who wanted him to recuse himself from sitting on the county Electoral Board that would have decided the cases. But he said in a news release that he was grateful the objections were withdrawn.

“Our office had inititally refused to accept these objections because the filing deadline had passed,” said Hulten. “Now, with just 53 days remaining until Election Day, we can now finalize ballots to begin voting with certainty that there won’t be last-minute changes.”

Story source: WILL