Students, Teachers At Macoupin County School Sickened

September 15, 2014

More than 130 Illinois middle school students and some adults in Macoupin County were sent to hospitals Monday after getting sick after a carbon monoxide leak.

The affected students were largely middle-school aged at North Mac Intermediate School in Girard, a central Illinois city about 25 miles south of Springfield.

The students were conscious and talking as they were taken away in ambulances, North Mac school superintendent Marica Cullen said.

The school with about 640 students, was evacuated around 9 a.m. according to North Mac superintendent Marica Cullen.  She said the school and its 640 students was evactuated about 9 a.m.

"All students were conscious, all students were coherent," she said.  "We did call 9-1-1 and it was amazing to see the outpouring of support from other communities. Their volunteer fire-rescue rigs just flooded this building - and brought oxygen (which) was what those kids need(ed) and they needed it immediately and those surrounding communities were here, they answered the call."

Students not taken to local hospitals were taken to nearby churches where they were being monitored for signs of illness, authorities said.
 
The source of the leak was a flue that came loose on a gas-powered water heater, and repairs have been made, school board member Terri Worth said.

Cullen says all classes in the district will be canceled Tuesday as officials assess the situation and ensure safety.

A few students were admitted into the hospital - though most were treated and released.

Story source: AP