The Right to Marry - October 17, 2014

Rough Editing Was Pretty Rough (at first)

Today, I finally finished my rough editing for the Right to Marry Project. I was assigned one interview with thirteen selected stories within it. These stories were chosen for some outstanding quality they had - be it heartwrenching, astounding, appalling, relatable, etc. I really enjoyed hearing these stories, which were extremely touching and got me thinking. Over the summer, there wasn't too much work for the Right to Marry Project, but listening to the audio and manipulating it really got me back in my oral history groove. To do the rough editing, we used Adobe Audition, which looks pretty daunting when you first look at it. Thankfully, the project leaders provided us with very detailed and helpful instructions (shoutout!) that helped a lot. I also worked with Rima and Sankhya, two other R2M interms, and teamwork made the dream work. We all helped each other through our clumsy first time using this complicated software. It took me about 40 min to just understand what was going on and edit my first story. Once I got the hang of it, it got a lot easier. I was able to do the other 12 stories in 45 minutes. Rough editing was really hard at first, but once I understood it, it became fun! I'm not very tech-savvy, and being able to cut and edit audio makes me feel like I have technological superpowers. I'm really glad that I learned this new skill and I had a lot of fun. I'm so excited for our next step in the Right to Marry project! 


⇒ All Blog Entries


More on The Right to Marry

outline of three people

Producers

Meet the people who produced this project


outline of a diamond

Partners

Meet our project partners