UIC Suspect Arrested In University of Chicago Threat
Federal authorities say a suspect is in custody related to a threat at the University of Chicago that led to the school canceling all classes and activities scheduled for Monday on its main campus. The University of Illinois at Chicago says one of its students living off-campus, Jabari R. Dean, has been arrested with transmitting a threat in interstate commerce.
UIC said in a statement that its campus police have increased patrols and are cooperating with law enforcement. It says no threats were made against UIC students, faculty or staff. UIC provided no information about the student who was arrested. Federal authorities say charges are pending against the person.
UIC Chancellor Michael Amiridis says the school is monitoring the situation and is concerned about the impact on its campus and the University of Chicago, which said in a statement Sunday night that an online threat from an unknown person mentioned the quad, a popular gathering place, and 10 a.m. Monday. That time appeared to come and go without any incident.
UPDATE 3:10 p.m. A federal criminal complaint said that Jabari R. Dean, 21, threatened on a social media website to kill 16 white male students or staff at the University of Chicago.
The threat came days after a video was released showing Officer Jason Van Dyke shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times. It prompted several days of protests in the city. The complaint says an FBI officer wasn't able to see the threat that was posted on Nov. 28, but reviewed a screenshot of it provided by the person who reported the threat.
Authorities said Dean posted online that he would "execute approximately ... 16 white male students and or staff, which is the same number of time (sic) McDonald was killed.''
The complaint also said Dean admitted to FBI agents that he posted the threat and took it down shortly after.
University officials say classes will resume Tuesday. University President Robert Zimmer wrote in an email Monday that in light of the arrest, classes and activities would resume Tuesday.
UPDATE 5:20 p.m. The white Chicago police officer charged with murder after a squad car video caught him shooting a black teenager 16 times has posted bond.
Local media outlets showed Officer Van Dyke leaving Cook County Jail on Monday evening. His bond had been set at $1.5 million, meaning he needed to post $150,000 to get out.