The Illinois Radio Reader Service
300 N. Goodwin Ave. Urbana IL. 61801
Coordinator Kathie Spegal (email)
The Illinois Radio Reader is a free service for the reading impaired community of east central Illinois. The service depends on volunteer readers who produce 80+ hours of weekly programming.
Illinois Radio Reader on Alexa
Illinois Radio Reader is now playing on Amazon's Alexa! To use the skill, open the settings menu on your Alexa app and find the Skills & Apps section. Search for Illinois Radio Reader and enable the skill. Or enable it here on Amazon. Then say “Alexa, play Illinois Radio Reader” to start the stream and “Alexa, stop” to stop.
On the Air Since 1978!
Over forty years of caring, sharing and over-the-airing with the reading impaired community.
What does IRR broadcast?
A free program guide is available by contacting IRR. The following is every weekday:
- Decatur Herald and Review and Decatur Tribune
- Bloomington-Normal Pantagraph
- Champaign-Urbana News Gazette
- Christian Science Monitor
- Vermilion County news (Commercial News)
- Grocery and drugstore ads
- The Ford County Record, The Tri-County Journal, Piatt County Journal-Republican and Rantoul Press on Fridays
- Books, entertainment features, sports, senior citizen features, health programs, magazines and more
- Talking Information Center during the nighttime and weekend hours
Click here for the complete Illinois Radio Reader schedule.
Who qualifies to receive this service?
Anyone who has a visual or physical disability which impairs his or her ability to read is eligible to obtain this free service.
Download an application for a radio receiver, or call 217-333-6503 for more information.
Volunteering for Radio Reader
Every weekday, local programming is available for broadcast. The newspapers, magazines and books that are shared with the listeners are read by volunteers who either record at home and e-mail the material or who come to the Illinois Radio Office at 300 N Goodwin in Urbana to record in person. A short orientation and commitment to a half hour or an hour weekly is all it takes. On-call readers are also appreciated. If you have time to record, please call Kathie Spegal at 217-333-6503 or contact Illinois Radio Reader by e-mail.