Will Leitch Discusses Mattoon’s Recovery After School Shooting
Two weeks ago Wednesday, a student opened fire in the Mattoon High School cafeteria, injuring one other student.
The community is continuing to recover, as is the victim, who according to a press release from the district, has been released from the hospital. The alleged shooter, who is a juvenile, has been charged with aggravated battery with a firearm.
For Will Leitch, Mattoon is home. The University of Illinois alumnus now lives in Athens, Georgia, and has written for national publications like Sports on Earth, New York Magazine, and Bloomberg, among others.
Leitch returned to Mattoon last week to speak at the 25th anniversary reunion of Mattoon’s Big 12 Championship baseball team, of which he was a member. Illinois Public Media's Brian Moline spoke with Leitch after his visit to Mattoon, and asked him how his hometown is recovering. That conversation is above.
They also spoke about some lighter sports topics, including Illini football, the arrest of four NCAA men's basketball assistant coaches, and Major League Baseball. You can hear that conversation below.
- U Of I Alum Leitch Wants New Mascot
- Columnist Leitch Weighs In On The Lovie Smith Hype
- Will Leitch Dives Into Politics
- Therapist: It Will Take Time For Mattoon Community To Process Emotions After School Shooting
- Injured Student ‘Stable’ After Mattoon High School Shooting
- Authorities Credit Teacher For Quick Action To Subdue Mattoon HS Shooter
- Shooting At Mattoon High School; Kultura Festival; Shawnee’s Snake Road; Cubs Corn Maze
- One Student Injured, Another In Custody, Following Shooting At Mattoon High School