Authorities Credit Teacher For Quick Action To Subdue Mattoon HS Shooter
Mattoon police say Wednesday’s shooting at Mattoon High School was carried out by one student, who is in custody.
Police Chief Jeff Branson says while the investigation will continue, they’re confident the male student acted alone.
Branson credits a female Mattoon High School teacher for reacting quickly to subdue the alleged shooter and prevent further violence.
"With the quick response of the teacher, if that teacher had not responded as quickly as (she) had, I think the situation would have been a lot different,” Branson said at a Wednesday evening news conference.
Authorities aren't releasing the name of the teacher to respect her privacy. They're also not releasing the name of the alleged shooter or the victim, who are both male juvenile students at Mattoon High School.
The victim is in stable condition at Sarah Bush Lincoln Medical Center in Mattoon. Mattoon Schools Superintendent Larry Lilly says he visited the victim Wednesday evening.
"With permission from his father, I can share that his son is smiling, in stable condition, in good spirits, and joked about catching some slack on his grades," Lilly said.
District officials say Mattoon High School will dismiss early on Thursday. They are making counselors, clergy, and police officers available to students who want to talk about Wednesday's shooting.
Thanks to WEIU-FM in Charleston for providing audio from Wednesday's press conference.
- One Student Injured, Another In Custody, Following Shooting At Mattoon High School
- What We Know About The Suspect In GOP Baseball Practice Shooting
- After Shooting, Davis Calls For Move Away From ‘Hateful Rhetoric’
- Suspect Dies After Shooting At GOP Baseball Practice In Virginia
- At Least 5 People Dead In Airport Shooting In Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Suspect In Campustown Fatal Shooting Now In Custody
- Police Seek Suspect In Campustown Shooting
- U Of I Students, Community, Honor Shooting Victim
- Campustown Shooting Affects Campus & Hospital Where Victim Was To Start Work
- Five People Shot, One Killed, After Shooting Near U Of I Campus